Transfer Box on 200Tdi

Land Rover Defender, 90, 110, 127 130

Moderator: pretdave

driesdej
Landy antispam question: I think so
Landy has how any wheels?: 4

Transfer Box on 200Tdi

Postby driesdej » 01 Oct 2017 13:42

At long last, after many months i have finally put my "new"second-hand front diff center portion in. That is after i had to re-order new 24/32 spline side-shafts from the UK. I know the 24/32 side shafts are the weaker ones, but that's what i got.
two questions concerning diff and transfer box

Question 1- the forward/backward motion is gone completely even though i have a hum on the front diff. When i bought the center portion ( a re-built one, i think) it had very little play on the crown wheel and pinion. Obviously the cause of the hum even though it is not irritating at all.
Would the hum be because of too little play or too much play between the crown wheel and pinion ???

Question 2 - I have found some other play on/inside the transfer box. Would the most likely cause be worn gear train or more specifically the diff unit inside the transfer box ???

Thanks for a great site, all help is much appreciated
Dries - Nosy Be, Madagascar
driesdej

Pumba
Landy antispam question: most definitely not

Re: Transfer Box on 200Tdi

Postby Pumba » 06 Jan 2018 15:15

It could be wear between the gearbox output splines and the input gear on the transfer case. Put the transfer case in neutral, handbrake off (and wheels cocked) and remove the pto cover on the transfer box and have a look, jiggle the handbrake drum to and trough, it will be easy to spot.

Pumba
Landy antispam question: most definitely not

Re: Transfer Box on 200Tdi

Postby Pumba » 06 Jan 2018 15:15

It could be wear between the gearbox output splines and the input gear on the transfer case. Put the transfer case in neutral, handbrake off (and wheels cocked) and remove the pto cover on the transfer box and have a look, jiggle the handbrake drum to and trough, it will be easy to spot.

Return to “Defender”